Saturday, November 1, 2008

Service


   More than half-way there.  I doubt if I'll live to 110...so I'm more than half-way there.

We Americans love to get caught up in our "busyness".  When I'm in the zone of work -- both in my TV job and my voice acting...I can ALWAYS find something to do.  Always.  My list is a mile long.

But what's really important?  Will I leave any kind of legacy?  Do I want to leave a legacy?  Does it matter?

I never met my paternal grandfather.  He was a Swiss poster artist in Geneva circa 1910-1935.  He died of heart failure at 52.  What he left us grandchildren, though, was a rich cache of his artwork.  Sketches, oils, posters, and stained-glass.  I'm grateful he chose to leave a legacy.  It's all I have of him.

So, again, what's my legacy?  My writing?  My voice-files?  Maybe it's worth it to someone.  Will it last? A couple of generations, but...doubtful for much longer.  How many billions of human beings have lived and died and left a lasting legacy?  Maybe .01%.  Newton, da Vinci, Geghis Kahn, Lincoln.

Thanks for reading this far.  I'm rambling a bit. 

My point:  Since it's doubtful I will leave a lasting legacy, I prefer to exist in a living legacy of service.  This is good for me, good for my family and friends, and good for my clients.  My constant stance is/should be:  "What can I do for you?".

There are other words for this:  mentoring, volunteering, ministering, mission... being "of service" takes the focus off YOU and your worries, and puts energy into putting something or someone else first.... and it's its own reward.  Fulfilling.

Try it.

CourVO

No comments: